Safety Upgrade Subsidy Program

Safety Upgrade Subsidy Program for Communal Electrical Installations in Low-rise Aging Buildings

In Macau, the communal electrical installations in many buildings have potential safety hazards due to a long-term lack of regular and proper maintenance and repairs, especially those “three-nil” buildings (i.e. without management entities, residents’ organizations and property management companies) aged over 30 years with less than seven storeys. It is more complicated and difficult to raise funds from property owners for maintenance.

In view of this, CEM shareholders contributed MOP30 million in 2020 to establish a one-off “Safety Upgrade Subsidy Program for Communal Electrical Installations in Low-rise Aging Buildings” to subsidize the upgrade of communal electrical installations in low-rise aging building with immediate danger to eliminate potential safety hazards. The upgrade projects will be carried out by contractors commissioned by CEM. CEM will be responsible for the technical supervision.

Objectives

  • Take on social responsibility by serving the local community
  • Improve communal electrical installations in poor condition and enhance electrical safety
  • Reduce impact on power supply in low-lying areas due to flooding in the long run
  • Effectively reduce the areas for implementing power suspension during storm surge
  • Support the citizens with CEM’s technical expertise

Eligible Buildings

 


 

 

The Program will take the protection of public safety as principle. The priority will be given to high-risk cases with immediate electrical hazards as well as buildings in low-lying areas that are affected by storm surges or determined as not complying with CEM’s existing technical specifications.

CEM will leverage its professional knowledge and ethics to conduct assessment and select eligible buildings for the subsidy under the principle of fairness, impartiality and rigor. Eligible buildings must meet the following requirements:

  • Non-economic housing and non-social housing
  • Residential buildings (excluding shops) aged 30 years or above, with seven storeys or less and with no lifts
  • Its communal electrical installation is identified by CEM as high-risk case with safety hazards and in urgent need for upgrade
  • Buildings affected by storm surge in low-lying areas
  • Not complying with the existing CEM’s technical specifications
  • Not receiving subsidies for electrical installation maintenance from the Housing Bureau (IHM) within the past 3 years

 

Please click below to enquire the “List of eligible buildings”.  Information will be updated from time to time.

List of Eligible Buildings

Scope of Subsidy

The scope includes the building’s communal electrical installations (main collective panel, meter box, main collective line and CCL), excluding the part from behind-the-meter to customers’ premises, any end-use electrical equipment in the building and decorations of the building’s facade and public areas.

Subsidy Amount

Property owners of the building will jointly bear 20% of the overall project cost, and each owner only needs to pay for their property occupied share. The remaining 80% will be paid by CEM. The project will be carried out by contractors commissioned by CEM.

Required Documents

Property owners who receive the invitation letter shall appoint a representative to communicate with CEM contractor and collect the following documents:

 1. Declaration of Consent signed by property owners
 2. Identification documents of property owners (limited to the property owners who signed the abovementioned Declaration of Consent)

Subsidy Distribution Process

 

Download CEM APP
google pay app store
© 2022 Companhia de Electricidade de Macau - CEM, S.A. All rights reserved.
CEM Website Terms of Use | Personal Data Collection Statement