FAQ
Back
Safety Upgrade Subsidy Program
What is “Safety Upgrade Subsidy Program for Communal Electrical Installations in Low-rise Aging Buildings”?

In view of that the communal electrical installations in many buildings in Macau have potential safety hazards due to a long-term lack of regular and proper maintenance and repairs, CEM shareholders contributed MOP30 million in 2020 to establish a one-off “Safety Upgrade Subsidy Program for Communal Electrical Installations in Low-rise Aging Buildings”. The program will subsidize the upgrade of communal electrical installations in low-rise aging buildings with immediate danger to eliminate potential safety hazards.

What types of buildings are eligible for the Program?
  • Non-economic housing and non-social housing
  • Residential buildings (excluding shops) aged 30 years or above, with seven storeys or less and with no lifts
  • Its communal electrical installation is identified by CEM as high-risk case with safety hazards and in urgent need for upgrade
  • Buildings affected by storm surge in low-lying areas
  • Not complying with the existing CEM’s technical specifications
  • Not receiving subsidies for electrical installation maintenance from the Housing Bureau (IHM) within the past 3 years
What are the criteria for CEM to screen eligible buildings?

CEM will leverage its professional knowledge and ethics to conduct assessment and screen eligible buildings for the subsidy under the principle of fairness, impartiality and rigor.  As this program will take the protection of public safety as principle, the priority will be given to high-risk cases with immediate electrical hazards as well as buildings in low-lying areas that are affected by storm surges or classified as not complying with CEM’s existing technical specifications.

What are the benefits for upgrading the building’s communal electrical installations?

The upgrade will improve the dilapidated communal electrical installations and enhance electrical safety, as well as reduce the risk of damage to electrical installations in low-lying areas due to flooding.

What electrical installations are included in the scope of the Program?

The scope includes the building’s communal electrical installations (main collective panel, meter box, main collective line and CCL).

Does the scope of the subsidy include electrical installations in my unit?

The scope of the subsidy only covers the building’s communal electrical installations. The part from behind-the-meter to customers’ premises and any end-use electrical equipment in the building are not included.

How much subsidy will be distributed to each building case?

The subsidy limit for each building is 80% of the overall project cost. The remaining 20% will be borne by property owners.

How do I know whether my building is in the eligible building list?

Once a building has been assessed as eligible, CEM will send invitation letters to its property owners.

Please click below to enquire the “List of eligible buildings”.  Information will be updated from time to time.

 

 

List of Eligible Buildings

How to get the subsidy program approved and commenced?

“Declaration of Consent” must be signed by property owners of more than half share of the building before the program can be approved and carried out. The share of a building is based on the building’s ownership registry issued by Housing Bureau (IHM).

After receiving the invitation letter, it has been decided that my building will not participate in the Program at the moment. Can we participate again in the future?

This is a one-off program. The MOP30 million fund will automatically cease and will not continue once it is used up. In this case, you will not be able to participate again.

My building meets all Program requirements, why didn’t I receive the invitation letter?

The Program is expected to last for 3 years.  CEM is now gradually assessing and screening eligible buildings. The list of eligible buildings will be continuously updated on CEM website.  Owners who have not received an invitation letter while the building is eligible can also inquire with CEM. After assessment, CEM will issue an invitation letter to the building concerned.

How much do I need to pay?

Property owners of the building will jointly bear 20% of the overall project cost, and each owner only needs to pay for their property occupied share. The remaining 80% will be paid by CEM.

How to settle the responsible cost?

Before the project starts, representative of the contractor will collect the relevant cost door-to-door. Residents can also learn about the payment method through the confirmation letter issued by CEM.

How long does the Project generally take?

It generally takes 6 to 9 months from submission of building plans and application for license to project completion. On-site construction works take about 1 week.

Can property owners entrust contractors to carry out the project?

By participating this program, the upgrade project will be carried out by contractors commissioned by CEM only.

Will there be a power interruption during construction period?

In general, only 1 day of power interruption for the construction works is required. If more than 1 day is involved, contractor will discuss with property owners in advance.

Will there be warranty after the completion of Project?

When the upgrade is completed, contractor will issue a Declaration of Completion form to owners and a one-year warranty period will be started. If there are any defects or damages caused by poor quality materials or workmanship in construction, the contractor will be responsible to repair.

In this Program, which party owns the electrical installations?

Communal electrical installations in buildings are collectively owned by property owners. All construction-related works and warranty shall be borne by Contractor. Upon project completion and confirmation of acceptance by building representative, the maintenance and repair of the relevant installations are responsible by property owners.

Download CEM APP
google pay app store
© 2022 Companhia de Electricidade de Macau - CEM, S.A. All rights reserved.
CEM Website Terms of Use | Personal Data Collection Statement