Know More

Safety Upgrade Subsidy Program

What is “Safety Upgrade Subsidy Program for Communal Electrical Installations in Low-rise Aging Buildings”?

In view of that the communal electrical installations in many buildings in Macau have potential safety hazards due to a long-term lack of regular and proper maintenance and repairs, CEM shareholders contributed MOP30 million in 2020 to establish a one-off “Safety Upgrade Subsidy Program for Communal Electrical Installations in Low-rise Aging Buildings”. The program will subsidize the upgrade of communal electrical installations in low-rise aging buildings with immediate danger to eliminate potential safety hazards.

What types of buildings are eligible for the Program?
  • Non-economic housing and non-social housing
  • Residential buildings (excluding shops) aged 30 years or above, with seven storeys or less and with no lifts
  • Its communal electrical installation is identified by CEM as high-risk case with safety hazards and in urgent need for upgrade
  • Buildings affected by storm surge in low-lying areas
  • Not complying with the existing CEM’s technical specifications
  • Not receiving subsidies for electrical installation maintenance from the Housing Bureau (IHM) within the past 3 years
What electrical installations are included in the scope of the Program?

The scope includes the building’s communal electrical installations (main low-voltage switchboard, main collective panel, meter box, main collective line and CCL), excluding the part from behind-the-meter to customers’ premises, any end-use electrical equipment in the building and decorations of the building’s facade and public areas.

What are the benefits for upgrading the building’s communal electrical installations?

The upgrade will improve the dilapidated communal electrical installations and enhance electrical safety, as well as reduce the risk of damage to electrical installations in low-lying areas due to flooding.

How much subsidy will be distributed to each building case?

The subsidy limit for each building is 80% of the overall project cost. The remaining 20% will be borne by property owners.

How will the subsidy be distributed?

Building property owners will pay 20% of the overall project cost before the project starts. The remaining 80% will be paid by CEM directly to the contractor after the completion of the project.

How do I know whether my building is in the eligible building list?

Once a building has been assessed as eligible, CEM will send invitation letters to its property owners.

After receiving the invitation letter, it has been decided that my building will not participate in the Program at the moment. Can we participate again in the future?

This is a one-off program. The MOP30 million fund will automatically cease and will not continue once it is used up. In this case, you will not be able to participate again.

My building meets all Program requirements, why didn’t I receive the invitation letter?

The Program is expected to last for 3 years.  CEM is now gradually assessing and screening eligible buildings. The list of eligible buildings will be continuously updated on CEM website.

What are the criteria for CEM to screen eligible buildings?

CEM will leverage its professional knowledge and ethics to conduct assessment and screen eligible buildings for the subsidy under the principle of fairness, impartiality and rigor.  As this program will take the protection of public safety as principle, the priority will be given to high-risk cases with immediate electrical hazards as well as buildings in low-lying areas that are affected by storm surges or classified as not complying with CEM’s existing technical specifications.

What is the process of subsidy distribution?

Please refer to the following process.  For any questions, please Message us.。

Flowchart-E.jpg

How long does the Project generally take?

It generally takes 6 to 9 months from submission of building plans and application for license to project completion. On-site construction works take about 1 week.

Will there be a power interruption during construction period?

In general, only 1 day of power interruption for the construction works is required. If more than 1 day is involved, contractor will discuss with property owners in advance.

Will there be warranty after the completion of Project?

When the upgrade is completed, contractor will issue a Declaration of Completion form to owners and a one-year warranty period will be started. If there are any defects or damages caused by poor quality materials or workmanship in construction, the contractor will be responsible to repair.

In this Program, which party owns the electrical installations?

Communal electrical installations in buildings are collectively owned by property owners. All construction-related works and warranty shall be borne by Contractor. Upon project completion and confirmation of acceptance by building representative, the maintenance and repair of the relevant installations are responsible by property owners.